Sunday, September 30, 2007

belief

Every morning, I start the day by reading the day's prediction for my sun sign. I am not in the least bit superstitious but somehow, I end up getting affected and nodding my head solemnly at that paragraph lamenting on how unlucky/fortunate I am based on what is written. I don’t think there has been a single day when those predictions have come true yet, I don’t seem to want to break that habit or skip that page.
You might agree with me and might even be doing the exact same thing.
We are victims of belief. We want to be comfortable with some assurance about what lies ahead. We just want to be prepared for the unforeseen, however unpleasant it may be. My belief about certain things, people, circumstances and even events make me the person I am. It might be based on past experiences or irrational thoughts which have no base, but I can’t seem to shake off that belief that I need to be in control of situations. For which, I need to have an inkling about what I should expect. Sometimes, I just let go. It seems like I am walking in the dark then. It can be nerve wrecking if you aren’t the calm sorts.
There are a lot of people I know who love living like that. I envy them. Really.
Imagine having no nagging doubts about life, no fears whatsoever determining your actions. No situations etched in your memory that stop you from trying out something new. You believe in nothing and no one can falter you. You are simply not perturbed by anything that lands your way, however unpleasant or challenging it is. I coach myself into looking at the future with renewed enthusiasm. To embrace change when it’s needed. To not be affected by factors beyond my control. To live each day as it comes without jumping to conclusions about things which might never even happen.
I am going to try it. Give up on being a control freak and try and be more generous with myself. Forget my annoyances and complaints about what’s going wrong. Concentrate on what’s going right and what path I should follow to make the wrongs go right. My life might not get better but heck, at least I will land up believing in myself and not a paragraph in the paper.